5 Tips for Saving on Car Insurance
Car insurance is there to protect you in the event of an accident, but it may be one of your biggest expenses too. Your vehicle's Premium is based on many factors, for instance: vehicle size, value, age of vehicle, where you live, your claims history and your age and gender all play a role (to name a few).
There are some steps you can take to keep your auto insurance rates affordable or lower your current rate:
- Do your research before buying a new vehicle. Find out how the size, performance, value and age of the vehicle you want to purchase will affect your premium, and compare insurance quotes for other vehicles you're interested in to find the one with the lowest premium.
- Drive responsibly and maintain a good driving record. Obey all traffic laws, don't drive under the influence of alcohol, drugs or fatigue, and no not text and drive. Avoiding dangerous behaviors will lower your chances of getting into an accident and help you keep your driving record clean, which can keep your premium low. You can even speak with your agent about installing a device on your car to prove you're a safe driver.
- Drive defensively. Recognizing hazards and reacting in time are vital to staying safe, avoiding accidents, and qualifying you for the lowest rate possible. Taking a defensive driving course could reduce your rates by 10% and reduce points on your license!
- Bundle your auto insurance with other policies, like renter's or homeowners insurance, to earn a multi-policy discount. While you're speaking with your agent, ask about usage-based policies or low-mileage discounts, good student discounts, or any other savings options that may be available.
- Pay your bills on time to improve your credit score. Many U.S. car insurance companies use a statistical correlation between your credit score and how likely you are to file a claim to help determine your risk. A score above 700 should reduce your auto premiums.
Keep these tips in mind to save on car insurance, and call Marshall & Sterling for help securing affordable and comprehensive coverage.