The new year usually comes along with new resolutions—spending less, being more active and so on. However, keeping a new resolution a few months down the road can take some serious dedication. Here are a few tips to ensure that your resolutions will last all the way until 2024:
- Don’t set a goal for the whole year. Although it can be tempting to set a numerical-based resolution for the entire year—such as losing a certain amount of weight or saving a certain amount of money—it can be just as easy to push these goals off until it’s too late. Instead, try to focus on what you can do on a regular basis.
- Be specific. Generic goals can be much easier to ignore. While a goal like “exercising more” may seem like a good idea, it’s easier to follow through if you’re specific. Make a schedule for when, where and how you’ll accomplish a specific goal.
- Only do one step at a time. Resolutions are meant to last for the entire year, not just for a week or a month. Don’t try to overexert yourself early in the year by doing too much too quickly—instead be sure to stay consistent and take your resolutions one step at a time.
- Find a partner. Doing resolutions with a friend or family member can help you stick to your schedule. Plus, a little friendly competition can help you stay motivated!
- Know when to take a break. Although it’s important to stay regular with your resolutions, remember that it’s OK to take a break every now and then. That way, you’ll be able to come back to your goals with a relaxed and refreshed mindset.
- Overall, set a S.M.A.R.T. New Year's Resolution!