Bedbugs are small, parasitic insects that bite people while they sleep and feed on their blood. While most infestations are located in hotels, homes and hospitals, any building with carpet, fabric or furniture is at risk of an infestation.
Although bedbugs are not known to spread disease, they can cause painful, itchy welts. Because of this, it’s important to learn how to spot bedbugs and understand how to get rid of them. The following are just a few bedbug removal strategies to keep in mind:
- Use a stiff brush to dislodge bedbugs and eggs.
- Bag and launder affected items. Wash and dry items on the hottest settings.
- Use a steamer or similar device on affected items to kill the bedbugs.
- Vacuum your house and dispose of the bag in a sealed trash bag.
- Call a professional pest control firm.
A combination of the above methods is the best way to rid your home of bedbugs. Cleaning, disinfecting and eliminating hiding places is the most effective method of ridding your home of bedbugs and other pests. However, many pests are able to live for several months without food and water, so it may be advisable to use a pesticide. In some cases, it may be best to discard affected items altogether.