Employment Practices Liability
Broad coverage to protect your business
FACT: We live in a litigious society. Lawsuits in the workplace are more prevalent than every before. Having insurance coverage to protect your company against employment practices litigation is essential to your success.
Why you need Employment Practices Liability insurance (EPL):
- A private company is more likely to have an Employment Practices claim than a General Liability or property claim
- 3 out of every 5 employers are sued by former employees
- 65% of all companies that have ever fired an employee have been hit with an employment related lawsuit
- The median compensatory award for all plaintiff verdicts is $325,000
- Over 40% of all Employment Practices claims are brought against firms with less than 100 employees
The following are important coverages that we offer in our EPL policy. Make sure that your policy includes all of these features:
Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) - $100,000 sub-limit for defense costs and loss (available in most jurisdictions). This helps protect employers in the event they are confronted with wage and hour disputes.
Defense and Settlement provision (“Hammer Clause”) softened to cover 75% of defense costs and loss after Insured’s final refusal to consent to settle a claim.
Defense outside the limit – We bear all costs of defense above the retention and defense costs do not erode the Limit of Liability (if a $500k or higher limit is chosen and there are fewer than 200 employees.)
Duty to Defend - We have an obligation to defend all claims (as defined by the policy) even if found to be groundless, false or fraudulent. We use expert outside defense counsel and in-house claim adjusters to control defense costs as well as to reduce overall claim costs.
Full Prior Acts available for most risks - provides coverage for acts occurring prior to the inception of the policy that result in claims made during the policy period.
Punitive Damages are included in the definition of Loss with most favorable venue wording (available in most jurisdictions). Punitive damages can be one of the largest EPL exposures for an organization. Most favorable venue wording is especially important for organizations with multiple locations as punitive damages are not insurable in all states.
Independent Contractors are included in the definition of Employee.
Risk Management Services – Free human resources consultation HELPLINE service with unlimited calls and no time limits plus an online HR Resource Center.
ALSO INCLUDED... Your Employment Practices Liability Risk Management Toolkit
Free Employment Practices Liability (EPL) Help Line (8:00AM to 7:30PM Eastern time)
If a Human Resource (HR) consulting firm offered you their time and expertise for FREE, would you lock their phone number and email address in a drawer and never call? Of course not! Do you have questions such as:
- What are the current Federal and state employment laws I need to know?
- What are “wage & hour” regulations? What does “exempt” versus ”non-exempt” mean?
- How should I handle terminating, suspending or warning an employee?
- What type of HR policies should I have in place?
- How should I properly document performance issues and disciplinary actions in an employee’s file?
- What are appropriate and inappropriate questions to ask during an employment interview?
- What guidelines should I use to investigate a complaint of discrimination or harassment?
Our hotline is staffed with professional HR consultants, well-versed in providing practical advice to businessowners.
New Online Human Resources Center
Option to e-mail your HR questions You can email your questions via this web portal or call the hotline. Your choice!
- HR News Center and recent employment law changes. The News Center keeps you up to date with recent changes in state and federal employment laws and what they mean to you as well as pertinent articles on employment issues you need to know about.
- Human Resource Manual & Employment forms. You will find “Best Practices” helpful for handling common HR issues. Issues may include conducting employee evaluations and understanding employment laws such as FLSA, FMLA and COBRA.
- HR Recommendations. You will also find sample HR policies regarding Discrimination, Harassment, Employment
- At-Will and Electronic Communications.
|The top 10 Reasons to Buy Employment Practices Liability (EPL)|
|EPL Claim Examples|
|Get Started - Quote, Select & Bind Coverage Online!|
|Contact Us:||Lorraine Emerick