BlueShield of Northeastern New York Cyber Security Incident Update
At BlueShield of Northeastern New York, maintaining the privacy and security of their members' personal information is one of their highest priorities.
They've made a commitment to their members and employers that they will notify them as quickly as possible regarding any data incident, with resources and guidance on how we've responded.
Therefore, it's with a sense of responsibility and transparency that BlueShield is notifying all members of a cyber security incident involving Newkirk, a third-party service provider their health plan works with to produce subscriber identification cards.
BlueShield is treating this incident very seriously. While Newkirk's investigation is ongoing, here are the facts BlueShield knows to date:
- On July 6, 2016, Newkirk discovered that a server containing certain personal information was subject to unauthorized access. A subsequent forensic investigation has indicated the unauthorized access occurred on May 21, 2016. Newkirk notified BlueShield on July 8, 2016 that their members' data may have been involved (compromised). Since then, BlueShield has been working with Newkirk to verify impacted groups and members.
- BlueShield's systems were not accessed or affected in this incident; however some of their subscribers who received new identification cards since October of 2014 could potentially be impacted.
- The information potentially accessed included name, mailing address, type of plan, member and group ID number, and other information found on subscriber ID cards such as, in some cases, names of members enrolled on their policy (dependents), Medicaid ID number and primary care provider.
- BlueShield will notify all potentially impacted current and former subscribers by U.S. Postal mail throughout the month of August.
- This notification will include information on two years of free identity protection and restoration services being offered by Newkirk through AllClear ID.
- Prior to receiving the letter, concerned members can visitwww.newkirkproductsfacts.com or contact the AllClear ID call center at 1-855-303-9773 (TTY/TDD: 711) between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Monday to Saturday.
- Newkirk is not calling or e-mailing impacted individuals regarding this incident. Individuals should NOT provide their personal information in response to an email or unsolicited phone call that claims to be related to this incident.
BlueShield will provide members with additional relevant information when/if it becomes available.
Feel free to contact your dedicated Marshall & Sterling Account Manager with any questions.