Simple Tips for Self-Care This Mental Health Month
May is Mental Health Month. Mental health includes emotional, physiological and social well-being—and the state of your mental health can affect your overall health and quality of life. It’s essential to be sure you’re taking care of your physical and psychological well-being to be at your best.
One way to focus on your mental health is by prioritizing self-care. Self-care includes activities that help manage your stress, lower the risk of illness and increase your energy. To get started with self-care, try following some of the following tips:
- Exercise regularly. Walking just 30 minutes a day can help boost your mood and improve your overall health. If you can’t do 30 minutes at one time, that’s okay. Small increments of exercise can add up.
- Eat a balanced diet. A balanced diet and staying hydrated can help improve your energy and focus.
- Prioritize sleep. Stick to a regular sleep schedule. Reduce your blue light exposure from devices such as phones or other screens before bedtime for better sleep.
- Participate in relaxing activities. Activities such as journaling, meditation, muscle relaxation and breathing exercises have all been shown to help improve mental state.
- Set goals and priorities. Make lists by focus to determine what needs to get done now and what can wait. This is also a good way to practice saying “no” to tasks that make you feel like you’re taking on too much.
- Stay connected. Reach out to friends and loved ones who can provide you with emotional support when you need it.
- Practice gratitude. Remind yourself daily of things you are grateful for through journaling or meditation.
How you practice self-care may look different from how someone else does. For more information on how you can practice self-care to prioritize your mental health, contact us today.