You may not think an error on your auto insurance application is a big deal, but the consequences can be very costly. Giving inaccurate information on your application can lead to increased premiums, policy cancellations or no financial assistance in the event of an accident. To avoid these negative effects, here are the top 5 mistakes to avoid:
- Not listing all drivers—Anyone who continuously drives your vehicle, even if it’s just for a short period of time a week, should be listed on your policy.
- Giving a false vehicle location—The difference between parking in one zip code versus another can greatly affect the amount of coverage you need for your vehicle. Failing to report your car’s true location can impact the accuracy of your insurance quotes.
- Not reporting your driving infractions—It’s best to be upfront about your driving record to avoid any conflicts or discrepancies. Your insurance company can easily retrieve any driving records from the DMV to check the accuracy of your application.
- Not disclosing business uses—In some cases, you may need a specialized policy when driving for business purposes or for a rideshare company like Uber or Lyft. Failing to take the proper steps could lead to a lack of coverage following an accident.
- Failing to update life changes—Changing addresses or adding another driver to a vehicle are all life changes that need to be updated on your policy. By not reporting changes, you may be overpaying for coverage and missing out on available discounts.
Be Honest on Your Application to Avoid the Consequences
Inaccuracies on your auto insurance application can end up costing you more money in the long run. If you think that you may have given false information on your auto insurance application, call your insurance agent to update your auto policy and avoid any ramifications. Spot an error on your policy? Need to update information? Be sure to call your agent!
- Test Drive Auto Rates Before You Buy
- Safe Driving Saves Money - learn how!
- Tips to Ensure Teen Driver Safety and Keep Costs Down
This is for informational purposes only and is not intended as professional advice. © 2019 Zywave, Inc. All rights reserved.