It’s easier than ever to buy or sell things on online platforms like Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. However, you always need to be careful when meeting strangers to exchange purchases.
These simple steps can help protect you when completing an online purchase in person:
- Only finish an exchange during daylight hours.
- Bring a friend or family member with you during exchanges.
- See if there’s a designated location for completing exchanges in your area. Local police departments have started to set up safe, open spots that are under video surveillance in order to make exchanges easier.
- Never agree to meet a stranger at a private residence or in a place that you’re unfamiliar with.
- Don’t provide buyers or sellers with any personal information that’s unnecessary for the exchange.