NY! Are you ready for Paid Family Leave? View our guide.
Starting January 1, 2018, New York Paid Family Leave becomes a mandatory employee paid leave benefit. Virtually all private employers employing one or more employees at least 30 days in any calendar year are required to obtain Paid Family Leave insurance which will be added as a rider to the disability insurance policy you already carry.
Beginning January 1, 2018 covered employees are provided with job protection, continuation of health insurance and paid time off for these qualifying events:
- Care for a family member (child, parent, parent-in-law, grandparent, grandchild, spouse or domestic partner) with a serious medical condition. This includes physical or psychological care.
- Bond with the employee’s child after birth, adoption, or welcome into foster care during the first 12 months after the baby’s birth, adoption, or foster placement.
- Assist when a spouse, child, domestic partner or parent is on active duty or has been notified of an impending call or order to active duty.
Which Employees Are Eligible for Paid Family Leave?
- Employees with a regular work schedule of 20 or more hours per week are eligible after 26 consecutive weeks of employment preceding the first full day of leave.
- Employees with a regular work schedule of less than 20 hours per week are eligible after 175 days worked preceding the first full day of leave.