Founded in 1864. An employee-owned company.

Fire Safety Tips for Holiday Cooking

Share

Cooking at home can be fun, challenging and delicious! However, accidents often result from flare-ups during food preparation or as a result of oven, burner or electrical and gas connection defects. To keep injuries out of the kitchen when you prepare your holiday meals, remember these fire prevention and safety techniques.

Cook Carefully to Prevent Fire
Use these fire prevention techniques when you are cooking:

  • Never leave cooking food unattended.
  • Wear tight-fitting clothing that cannot drape over flames or into pans.
  • If you have long hair, tie it back.
  • Clean up spills, grease and messes on the range and in the oven immediately.

  • Do not place oven mitts, hand towels or hot pads on or near the range.
  • When you are done cooking a meal, double-check to make sure that all appliances are turned off.
  • Unplug portable appliances when they are not in use.
  • Turn all pot handles toward the back of the stove to avoid bumping into them, or sma
  • When cooking on your range, turn on the vent hood fan to minimize any smoking.
  • If your gas range does not light on its own, be extremely careful when lighting it.
  • Never place metal dishes or tin foil into the microwave, since it can cause sparking. If your microwave does spark without metal inside, turn it off and unplug it.
  • only deep fry turkeys outside, away from the house, and under careful supervision.

If The Event Of A Fire:

  • Turn off the gas or electrical appliance that is fueling the flames, if possible.
  • If the fire is in a pan on your range, cover the pan with its lid or a baking sheet. If this does not work, use a fire extinguisher or sprinkle baking soda on the pan. (Spray fire extinguishers in a sweeping motion while standing at least 3 feet away from the flames.)
  • If you are cooking with oil and it catches fire, DO NOT pour water on the flaming pan. This will drastically increase the size of the fire.
  • If the fire is too large or you have any doubt about your ability to extinguish it, call 911 and report the fire immediately.

Safety First
Appliances that spark or give you shocks may be defective and in need of immediate repair. Contact the appliance’s manufacturer for repair information.