Navigate Your Next Car Accident With Ease Using These Tips
Getting into an automobile accident is scary enough without the added stress of being unsure how to handle the situation. We want you to have all the necessary information to navigate this trying experience with ease.
Here’s how to maneuver through this process:
- Get out of your car and provide assistance to anyone who is injured.
- Call the police or highway patrol immediately. They can call emergency personnel for you, if needed.
- Protect the accident scene by setting up flares, putting up cones or moving your car off the road.
- Once the police arrive, give them as much information as you can concerning what occurred. Do not admit fault; just give the facts.
- Ask the investigating officer for a copy of the report, as you may have to submit that with your claim.
- Write down the names and addresses of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident. Also note the license plate number, make, model and year of each car involved. You should also note the name of the other driver’s insurance company and driver’s license number.
- Write down the names and contact information for any and all witnesses to your accident.
- Note the names and badge numbers of the police and emergency personnel that assisted with your accident.
- Write down as many details as you can recall about your accident and then call Marshall & Sterling to report your claim. When contacting us, we will let you know what forms need to be filled out to support your claim.
- Keep a record of all correspondences that you have regarding your claim, including the date, name and title of the person you talked to and what was said.
- Keep a record of any expenses you incurred as a result of the accident. Depending on your policy, you may be entitled to reimbursement for your expenses.
- Take photographs of your damaged vehicle and retain these images for use during your claim.
- Before making repairs to your vehicle, find out what type of parts will be used—either original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts or aftermarket parts. We need to know this information for the claims process.
The second that you have an automobile accident, you must spring into action to make sure the claim goes smoothly. Remain calm during the entire ordeal and feel free to contact Marshall & Sterling for assistance throughout the process.
Marshall & Sterling insurance strives to provide unparalleled service and support for our clients. Get the information and services you need, when you need them, no matter where you are! Representatives from our call center can take your phone call at any time, even outside of our normal business hours. In the event of a claim or emergency, use our 24/7 service center.
- Printable: Auto Accident Record - print and put this in your glove box just in case!